Have you ever used flour on your face? Mixed with milk or yogurt or anything of the like? If you haven’t, you have at least come across people who have. Why would anyone use food on the face?
Well, then, it is time to ask the bigger question, why do people use chemical products on the face? Not just face but their whole body and lips too. To keep it all in perfect condition probably. But, humans did not always have access to chemical products. They lived on the naturally available product once and that suits them just fine.
In fact, do you not think that it is safer to use natural products rather than chemical-based ones? It really is- while chemical products work faster, they have side effects and the good effects are not very long-lasting either. On the other hand, natural products have longer-lasting effects and also are safer to use without any side effects.
Now, sugar is one of the most popular ingredients on the natural ingredients list. But, why? And how? Let us find out how and why to use a sugar scrub on the face, feet, and lips.
Sugar Scrubs: Why?
If you have not yet come across sugar scrubs, you have at least come across scrubs in general. Why do you use scrubs? To deep clean your face and remove the dead cells. And, sugar helps you do exactly that. Let’s see how.
The Nature of Sugar: Sugar is a bit hard granule like structure with a tendency to dissolve in liquids with time.
The ways it helps
- Removes Buildup of dirt: One of the prime causes of acne or any unwanted thing on the face is dust and dirt buildup. Sugar with its slightly rough nature helps to remove such dirt by friction. You will always feel that your skin feels much smoother after scrubbing with sugar.
- Unclogs pores: Just like it cleans dirt after it is done with the upper level, it reaches within the pores to clean the pores as well. Sugar is like that friend who takes care that everybody is taken care of. So, if the top layers get clean, why shall it leave the pores alone?
- Exfoliates: Dead skin cells arrive on the surface of our skin every single second. And, it makes our skin darker and rougher. In order to let the fresh skin cells grow and come out, we have to remove the dead skin cells. And, scrubbing is the natural way to do so. Sugar is such a thing that is rough enough to deal with the bad but not enough to harm your skin. So, it works as a great exfoliant.
- Leaves a glow behind: While you get Glycolic Acid from chemical scrubs as well- sugar is a natural source with nothing harmful and it leaves your skin glowing. Firstly, it smooths your skin up and then it melts to enrich the skin with whatever it needs for cell buildup. Finally, you have a smooth glowing skin that you cannot stop feeling proud of.
Sugar Scrubs: How to use it?
While sugar is beneficial in many ways, you have to use it right to get all the benefits. Here are some tips on how to use it.
1. Mix the sugar with something liquid.
If you have seen, eaten or touched sugar, you know that it is quite hard. This roughness could cause your skin great damage if you rub it on your skin. That is why no one does. Well, if you were about to, we are here to stop you. So, let’s check out what you can use the sugar with.
- One Tablespoon Honey and One Tablespoon Sugar.
Honey is pretty much the exact opposite of sugar. It provides your skin with the softness that sugar cannot provide. Furthermore, it helps the sugar melt and the nutrients get absorbed in your skin better. Lastly, honey acts as a tonic.
- Honey, lemon and sugar.
If you want to cleanse your skin as deeply as you can then you might as well add lemon juice to the honey and sugar. Apparently, lemon juice has properties that will clear your skin from the harmful germs that live within. And, also keep it as such for a while. But, make sure you do not go out under the sun after such a scrub!
- Coconut Oil with Sugar.
If you want to go easy on your skin then there is no better choice than using sugar with oil. Coconut oil is apparently one of the most popular choices for a sugar scrub. Mix it in equal proportions with the sugar and rub away.
- Olive Oil and Sugar.
Olive oil not only makes the sugar gentler and smoother on your skin but it also acts as a natural ingredient that prevents and cures scars. Therefore, if there are acne marks or more left on your skin from before, scrub with olive oil and sugar and you will have glowing, flawless skin one day.
- Other essential oils with sugar.
This can be lavender or any other oil of your choice. Mix it with sugar and you will have a great time with the skin and effects!
2. Rub it gently.
The trick with sugar being harmful or beneficial is how you use it. It may be harmful to your intestines but it is great for your skin. In fact, it can even be harmful to your skin if you rub it too hard. This is why it is necessary that you scrub lightly.
Make sure you are not irritating your skin or making it red. If it hurts, you either have to slow down, be gentler or stop altogether.
Also, rubbing in a circular motion will help with blood circulation.
3. Let it settle.
Removing the sugar right now after you are done rubbing can be a bit tough and wasteful. Let the sugar settle but more importantly, let the nutrients for your skin settle. It will leave your skin as best as it can ever be.
4. Rinse it all off.
Now it is time to rinse of what feels so sticky. It won’t be easy but go slow and thorough.
5. Use a moisturizer.
All this cleaning will definitely leave your skin a bit tired and dry. That is why it is necessary that you invest in a good moisturizer which will bring your skin back to live (the small amount that it needs back).
Where to use Sugar Scrubs
Face: While many people claim that sugar scrubs can be too rough on the skin- it’s not that true. Yes, it can be rough but not if you are gentle with it. Furthermore, chemical scrubs are way harder and rougher. All you have to do is mix it up with a good liquid and be gentle.
Lips: We apply lipstick quite often and we forget that our lips have skin too that sheds. Lips need a lot of care too and scrubbing with sugar gives them the care they need. Therefore, if it suits you, you can use sugar scrubs but be gentle on your lips as well.
Feet: Yes, you can use a sugar scrub on your feet and well with fewer worries as the skin is not as sensitive.
How Often to use Sugar Scrubs: The Frequency
When using a sugar scrub on face, you have to consider your skin type and based on that you should not scrub your face more than thrice a week. On the other hand, lips can do with as much as just one scrub a week. Feet can live with three a week.
There are many natural things beneficial for your skin. What you have to make sure is that they suit you and you know how to use them right. Sugar scrub is one of them to enhance the beauty in you to the next level.