As an Amazon Associate, I may earn a commission from qualifying purchases. Please note that you are never charged any extra for that.
If you’re familiar with any kind of makeup work, you’ll know that having a good set of brushes or more aptly, having the right brushes for a particular product application is vital. Not all brushes are equal and even though all these brushes vary in different ways, they will usually not vary too much in physical shape, size, and design. Except, of course, the brushes that are the topic of my writing for today! Oval brushes; tend to vary quite a bit from the conventional makeup brushes. For one, they are all oval in shape! That bit is obvious from the name. However, you might be taken aback to find a whole set of brushes, of which, all of which are ovals!
Regardless of the size of the brush, the density of the bristles and the handle, they are all oval. That is kind of insane when you think about it, yes! But trust me, this design does work and it is going to let you do all of what you want a good brush set to do and depending on the quality of the set you decide to purchase, you could get a very good set. Even if you would be interested to know more, you might be a bit confused about where to begin. Fear not, though, for my services are at your disposal! I will be going over a whole host of oval brush sets and going over features and good bits so that you can see if you get any added value from it.
Best Oval makeup brush sets
Oval Make-Up Brush Set: The Best 10 piece Hypoallergenic Brush Kit by Queen B Beauty:
A comprehensive set of brushes that will cover a good bit of a lot of things that you will likely perform with any typical brush set, this oval brush set from Queen B Beauty is a pretty decent brush kit with a host of good features and benefits. The brushes cover a bunch of different things in the eye makeup and face makeup departments but will not really let you be very specific with what you are trying to do due to the lack of detail brushes and precision brushes. The brushes are hypoallergenic meaning that it does not let allergens build up from and to your skin so your skin should stay relatively free of irritation and breakouts from using a brush set like this. The bristles are of high quality and you should pick up ample makeup products with the densely packed bristles of each brush. It will drop off all excess into the pallette.
Brushes: Brow filler, Crease brush, Crease Blending brush, Lipstick brush, Nose contour brush, Eyeshadow and concealer brush, Controlled foundation brush, Foundation brush, Setting powder brush, Face Cleansing brush.
- With the added benefit of better diffusion, it will beat out a lot of traditional makeup brush designs thanks to the oval shape. A great plus to have!
- An efficient set of bristles in the brushes mean that you use only as much product as you need and stave off any excesses. Also, this lets you pick up enough product for application because you can always attempt to pick up extra and stave off the bits that are in excess. Very handy indeed!
- Oval brushes as a whole need to be applied a bit differently to conventional brushes and users may have to get used to using an oval brush before they are comfortably good with it.
- Written instructions are not provided with the set so that’s a potential issue for people unfamiliar with them and this play right into the first point as well.
10 pc Oval Brush Kit | The Top Tools Face & Makeup Kit by Amazing Shine:
The next oval brush set on this list also has 10 pieces and isn’t that different from its predecessor. 10 piece kits tend to have similar compositions of brushes because they tend to be among the most common ones and here, you will get more of the same. Par for the course, really! These brushes use techlon hair fibers, a high-quality bristle fiber that should be very durable and should lead to you enjoying the usage experience of the application.
It is also known to be better for your skin than the normal synthetic ones and without being completely natural anyway. The handles are very ergonomic and should be easy and comfortable to grip. You should be able to move it around like you would move a regular toothbrush. I am pretty sure you are quite comfortable with using a toothbrush, given you’ve been using it for so long! Additionally, the collection is skewed towards facial makeup so you are going to have a plethora of options to do things on your face but options in terms of eye makeup are quite limited.
Brushes: Powder brush, Foundation brush, Contour brush, Shadow brush, Blending Brush, Concealer Brush, Eyeliner Brush, Blush Brush, Eye crease brush, Small Shading Brush
- Another good option for an overall brush set, although it does somewhat lend itself more towards usage on the face as opposed to the eye. A plethora of foundation, blush, contour brushes is going to let you do quite some work on your face.
- Quality of the bristles is very good for non-natural ones and it will be a very good alternative to traditional brush sets with synthetic bristles.
- The lack of things for eye makeup may be a bit of a problem. It isn’t few by any means but it definitely isn’t very comprehensive in that department.
10 pc oval makeup brush set by Asimoon:
Another ten-piece brush set collection that is going to let you do the bulk of your makeover work. It comes neatly packaged in a box and the brush handles, along with the tip of the bristles have a pink theme. It is going to fit well into a pink-themed dressing table if you are into aesthetics and that sort of thing!
The bristles are very soft and dense and this should lead to a very efficient collection of makeup products on the bristles of the brush and let you run down any excesses that build up in the brush. Your products are going to last longer this way, always a plus! The bristles are also guaranteed for quality and they shouldn’t wear off and get plucked easily. An ergonomic handle that is akin to toothbrushes, it is going to fit in just fine in the palm of your hands. You can easily handle it comfortably and then apply your makeup on your face.
Brushes: Primer brush, Foundation brush, Concealer brush, Powder brush, BB Cream brush, Eyeliner Brush, Eye Shadow Brush, Blush Brush, Contour brush, Highlight brush, Bronzer brush, setting brush.
- A very aesthetic set of brushes, this will definitely add beauty points to your current makeup arsenal. It’ll fit in really well with all other pink-themed accessories and palettes.
- It has decent coverage for both eye and faces makeup. In this regard, it should be quite a holistic starter kit or travel kit.
- The lack of a carrying case might be an issue for some people. I know you want to show off these gorgeous brushes to your friends!
This isn’t going to come across as your everyday brush set! As odd as the oval-shaped brushes are, the color combination in this one truly stands out, with golden bristles mounted on top of a black handle. Coming in at quite a decent price, it appears to offer quite good value for your money, providing a whole host of brushes to cover all your face makeup and eye makeup needs without breaking the bank. Additionally, the grip of the handle is quite a familiar shape and is similar to those brush style combs that people used to use to comb hair. It was always really nice design for handling and these are no exceptions either! This brush type will be suitable for all types of makeup products, be it powder, cream or blush. It will get the job done with little issues so you can expect a reliable and consistent application from it.
Brushes: Here, some of the brushes are duplicates but the unique pieces are as follows: Powder brush, Blush and foundation brush, Contour brush, Brow and eyeliner brush, Lip brush, Eyeshadow brush.
- It offers very good value for money, offering a holistic set of brushes that covers most of your needs at a really good price and delivering more than an acceptable level of performance at that.
- The unique look of the brushes is also bound to get you interested and may suit your personality if you’re the bold type that wants to make strong fashion statements.
- Good shape, handling, and ease of use are always major positives. That is the bare minimum that most people want from any consumer product and this goes above and beyond that.
- Performance can be expected to be acceptable but not the best. If you want any better though, you are going to have to look for something at a higher price point and they don’t come cheap, trust me!
Oval Makeup brush set of 5 Pcs by Beauty Kate:
Finally deviating from our ten-piece sets, we move on to the first five-piece brush set. They will be really minimal and typically, tend to have one brush for every part of your face. Your eyes will need a bit more but overall, for a very basic starter kit, this is a good option. You have to learn a bit about how to do the basics before graduating to the harder ones I always say!
The quality of the fabrics used in the bristles is better than ordinary synthetic bristles so while it won’t be as efficient, effective or feel as good as natural ones, it should still do a more than good enough job compared to regular makeup brushes. The handles are built in a way that expands towards the center and smooths out at the top and bottom. It is an ergonomic shape and people will enjoy having it in the palm of their hands. The build quality of the handles is also quality nylon so you don’t have to worry about it breaking too easily or anytime soon.
Brushes: Foundation and bronzing brush, Blush and contour brush, Lip Color and Eyeshadow color brush, Eyeliner brush, Concealer brush.
- It is a very good set as a starter kit for people just setting foot into the curious world of makeup. It has all the fundamental brushes that a person is likely to need at the beginning and they are of decent enough quality too.
- They are easy to handle and use and shouldn’t give away soon like other starter kit brushes.
- Given that you won’t be a beginner forever, this set might be a bit of a short term solution. You’ll need to add more brushes later down the line anyway so you could always get a bigger set.
A very interesting brush set, the color scheme of the diamond mermaid is definitely going to be a very selective choice. You’ll either love it or loathe it, it’s such a weird design! However, in terms of usability and content, it is right up there with the good 10 piece brush sets and is priced around the same mark too. The shape is very interesting here. It has a diamond shape where the center of the handle is like the pivot of the two cones. I don’t know if the shape is ideal and I am pretty sure a lot of people won’t be a fan of it. Still, it isn’t that unusable, just that I ain’t a fan! The brush contents are what you would expect in 10 piece sets and additionally, the manufacturer provides 30-day money-back guarantee and 180 days of warranty. For a starter kit, that is plenty but it may also be a sign that you can expect it to last longer than the 6 months attributed here.
Brushes: Foundation brush, Compact powder brush, powder brush, blush brush, concealer brush, eyeshadow brush, eyeliner brush, brow brush, Small eyeshadow brush, Lip brush,
- It is a straightforward brush set and it should meet most of your makeup needs. It has ample brushes for eye makeup and faces makeup to get the basics down easily. Nothing too special but nothing to worth criticize in this regard.
- The shape of the handle isn’t going to be for everyone. You’ll want to avoid ordering them online before you get a firsthand experience of how they feel.
- Their aesthetics won’t be for everyone like I already said. Take a good look before you get them!
BS-Mall Face Foundation Oval Makeup Brushes by BS-Mall:
Before you come at me with pitchforks, I will put on a disclaimer! Only two of the brushes out of six in this set are oval. However, these oval brushes really complement the rest of the set well and make it into quite a good starter kit. The combination of the standard face brushes in tandem with these two ovals tends to make a very comprehensive set of brushes for the face. The lack of eye-specific brushes is highlighted here. Only the small oval brush might be used for eyeshadow and other eye makeup but that is definitely quite a limiting factor here.
The synthetic bristles used in this set are soft and they do a decent enough job. Not particularly mention-worthy but enough to get the job done. One plus side of Mall brushes is that they provide instructions on how to use brushes and clean them and this facility also extends to this set of brushes. So that is a welcome addition for sure.
Brushes: Flat angled brush, Face Flat brush, Round Brush, Tapered Brush, Foundation Oval brush, Small Oval Brush.
- It’s a simple and straightforward brush set for absolute beginners. Nothing too special but covers fundamental brushes so that you can learn the basics of makeup.
- It provides quite a thorough list of instructions on how to use each brush and how to clean them.
- It is quite an underwhelming set, especially considering the lack of consideration given towards eye makeup brushes. That has left a big hole in the set.
JPNK Oval Foundation Cream Makeup brushes by JPNK:
This is one brush set that you could easily mistake for an actual toothbrush! Indeed, the handle is exactly the kind you would find in your bathroom’s cupboard and I would strongly recommend to place it separately from your toothbrush. Jokes aside though, this brush is another five-piece, basic oval brush set with the brushes covering the absolute basics of eye and face makeup. It isn’t particularly fancy and it has a pretty nifty carrying case for easier transportation. Little things that add to the experience are always welcome. The brush uses synthetic hair for the bristles.
It isn’t the best in terms of performance and neither is it particularly good on the skin but at least it ensures animal safety to a degree and that is also important in my book. Like other oval brushes, it sort of gives that airbrushed look on a lot of the makeup without actually using an airbrush! They’re the only kind of brush that can do that and this perk is available here.
Brushes:Liquid Foundation brush, Blush and Powder brush, Lip Contour brush, Eyeliner and eye shader brush, Lip Brush
- It is a useful brush set to have for beginners and is going to tie up many of the ends someone just getting into the art will have. A solid performer for beginners and a good means to learn about using brushes.
- It is super cheap! Getting any performance at all is quite good in that respect!
- The bristles, the toothbrush resemblance, the build quality, etc etc. There is a lot of drawbacks to this set and of course, when you are paying such a low price, some problems are to be expected so don’t be too optimistic about it. You’ll get what you’re paying for.
Yoseng Oval Foundation Brushes, 5 PCs by Yoseng:
Another brush set entry from Yoseng, this is a smaller collection of their oval brush set and this set particularly specializes in foundation application. There is one brush that is small in size and could be used to do your eyes with but that is pretty much it. Most of the others are solely face focused and doing decent work on your face is why you would decide to get this brush set to begin with. It is a decent price for a small kit like this and usually, it will only suffice for beginners. However, it does support a whole host of different foundation products and it will be a decent option even for intermediate level users for their foundation and similar work. The handles are of decent build and the bristles are quality, synthetic fibers so you can definitely use them for some time going forward. Don’t try to put too much pressure or hit something with them and you will be fine!
Brushes:Large Powder brush, Blush brush, Large Foundation Brush, Small Foundation brush, Crease brush.
- It is a better than average starter set and should give beginners a good start on makeup, namely refining their techniques and all, particularly how to attain the airbrush effect.
- The host of brushes for the face is going to delight a lot of potential customers who want something that takes care of their face.
- Eye makeup is extremely limited; just the one brush that is good for that purpose. You will need extra brushes to get a decent enough job done for your eyes I imagine.
- Given that it is slightly more expensive than the budget starter kits, it doesn’t really provide much of value to beginners. You might as well get a bigger set for a not much greater price.
The last set on this list is also from Kingstar and it is quite clear that they like their oval brushes a lot! Anyway, it is a 10 piece set again, to end the list and like all the other 10 brush sets, it has a more than fair number of brushes for both eye and face makeup so you’re well covered in that regard. It is going to be usable with all sorts of product, whether that be BB cream, powder or liquid product. The bristles are packed quite densely and are soft so they hold in product quite well, regardless of what it is.
There are some instructions regarding how to use the brushes and how to clean them. The manufacturer recommends cleaning the brushes once a week with cleaning solution to keep it free of gunk and debris and extend the life of use. The synthetic bristles do a decent job but again, don’t expect them to perform like premium synthetic ones. This set is a bit cheaper than other 10 brush sets of similar kind so they had to compromise somewhere!
Brushes:Foundation brush, Blush brush, Powder brush, Concealer brush, Eye shadow brush, Eye liner brush, Eyebrow brush, Lip brush, Eye contour brush, Small Eyeshadow brush.
- A set of ten brushes on the cheaper side so it has potential to be great return on investment for a ten brush set.
- Covers most of the different types of basic brush types so you don’t have to get extra brushes unless you want to do something quite a bit more advanced.
- Not the best build quality by any means. Bristles and handle both somewhat found lacking in this regard.
- In order to keep price down, the brush is a bit flimsy to use. Not the best feeling brush by any means and not particularly comfortable to handle either.
Why Oval Brushes?
You might be wondering why you should bother to get oval brushes to begin with. Won’t you be better off just sticking to traditional brush types? And would it cost more money to get oval ones? All fair questions to ask really! First of all, oval brushes are a bit like blending sponges. They diffuse products and collect products onto the bristles better than conventional brush types so this has two benefits. This means that you can attain a different type of look compared to what you could with a normal brush. The options of what you can do expands quite a bit in this regard and best of all, you can do most things on oval brushes that you can do with normal ones anyway.
Best of both worlds kind of thing! Secondly, oval brushes are the only real brush that lets you get that airbrushed look. Yes, that one! Google it if you don’t know what I am talking about. I should preface this by saying that it won’t be quite as good as you could do it with an actual airbrush but it is going to get quite close and the degree to which you can will depend on the quality of the brushes you get. Now, if this is your primary reason for getting them, if you have the budget, you might be better off getting an actual air brush and get that look properly! But if it isn’t and let’s be real, they aren’t exactly cheap, and you could get one of these sets and expect them to do a decent job. Even if you’re someone who doesn’t care for much of these, just the mere fact that you can attain quite a different selection of looks should be enough for anyone into makeup to at least try their hand at one of these bad boys.
Factors to consider before purchase
The different kinds of brush available in a particular set is the first thing that most people should consider before buying and brush set and this is certainly no exception. The brushes that you think you will need or you typically need to use are the ones that you ought to spend money to get. This should be obvious stuff but some people need to hear this! This is also even more important for oval brushes because there is a good chance that you do not need a whole set of oval brushes and you might want to only own a few ovals that you will need for certain use cases. In that case, a set of ten might not be necessary for you and a smaller set might be a better investment and you can have some money to spend on other brushes.
Price is the primary factor that affects most people’s buying habits and whether or not you can buy a particular set will primarily be affected by whether you can afford the price or simply would choose to pay that price. Now, as a general rule for most things in life, you have to pay more for the better things and even here, it is no exception. If you want to attain the different effects that you can do with an airbrush, using an oval brush, the quality of the oval brushes will be a very important determinant in how far your mileage goes. Even without that consideration, better prices will mean better and longer lasting bristles on your brushes, better finish and aesthetics and better build quality.
Having travel size kits is an important consideration when purchasing any brush set and this is even more so for oval brush sets because they tend to have quite bulky brushes on the tip of the handles. Therefore, the availability of case holders, for example, will be a decisive purchase factor for people looking for a brush set to carry around with them. They will be thicker than standard makeup brush holders but they should still be able to accommodate brushes without too much bulk addition. There are a bunch of other things you would have to consider but honestly, they are pretty much the same as you would have to for a normal brush set. Since you’re here specifically for oval brushes, I don’t think it’s necessary to delve into them in great details and therefore, I will only make mention of them. These factors are bristle material, handle ergonomics, how much product it uses, availability of precision and detail brushes, etc.
Q.1: Are Oval Brushes more expensive than normal ones?
Answer: Marginally, they are but the kind of prices you can get them at will tend to vary. I am pretty sure the cheapest oval brush set won’t be priced much higher than the cheapest normal brush set. Similarly, the most expensive one should be priced close to that of its traditional counterpart. Normally, the design of a brush isn’t what contributes the most to its price so it shouldn’t be considerably more expensive.
Q.2: Do you have to use an oval brush differently?
Answer: In terms of how you use it to apply product, not really. Use it like how you would use a conventional brush and if you need to do anything differently to how you use the normal brush, they will typically be included in instructions. Don’t sweat how to use it too much! Like most new brushes, you might need to use it a few times to get the hang of it but afterward, you should be set. So there you have it, a comprehensive run down of oval brushes. They are quite unique in design and they have their special use cases but at the same time, they do let you do a bit of the normal things that you can do anyway. Having a few of these at your disposal can come in quite handy and with some careful consideration, you can get a very good set that fits your use case perfectly. If you’re new to everything, then relax!
You don’t have to stress too much about oval and round brushes all that much; just find out the basics of the brushes and technique in application. These unique brushes are not going to be something you need to worry about anytime soon and eventually, you will get to them after you’ve learned a bit about how things work. So there you have it, set forth into the interesting world of oval brushes and with the selection of sets that I have provided and find a set that suits you perfectly. You’ll be a pro at this in no time I bet! It’s not that complicated but it is most certainly a very interesting product to have.