As an Amazon Associate, I may earn a commission from qualifying purchases. Please note that you are never charged any extra for that.
A paintbrush in the hand of a master is going to yield vastly different results in the hand of an amateur, regardless of how good or how bad it might be. The similar is true for makeup brushes as well! Kolight 20 piece makeup brush set review eases the task. After all, nothing beats good old technique and knowhow. Irrespective of how good a particular brush or brush set is, you will get a lot more out of it if you’re a seasoned user. With that being said, even if you’re just a beginner, you’ll need a suitable brush set and more often than not, you’re better off starting off at the lower end.
So while we are on the topic of budget brush sets, we’ll be going through the Kolight makeup brush set, a set of 20 brushes to see what brushes are there, what you do with them and whether the set is worth the bucks.
Brushes in the set
Before we get into specifics, some clarification is due regarding the brushes. First of all, not all 20 brushes are different and most certainly are not for different purposes. 20 brushes is overkill and needless to say, a lot of these are going to be replacement products! So what are the different brushes available in this set?
Foundation Powder Brush: One of the staples of the makeover industry, the foundation brush is perhaps the first thing that you need when you’re thinking about a proper makeover and as in most other things, the foundation in the world of makeup lays the foundations of a makeover. Interestingly enough, the brushes provided by Kolight in this instance are quite small for a foundation brush and the added facet that it is restricted to powder products is definitely an issue.
Lip Brush:The lip brush is used to apply liquid lip products as opposed to the conventional lipstick and typically, this brush is on the smaller and thinner side for precision and the version of the brush provided by Kolight is no different in this regard. Just dab it onto the product and gently swipe it across your lip and you’re good to go!
Mascara Brush:One of the fundamentals of a good makeover is taking care of your eyes. And the first thing that comes to most people’s minds when they think about eye makeup is either eyeshadow or mascara, for obvious reasons! Kolight’s mascara brush that is included with this set is shaped with stiff bristles that are slightly curved and spaced out to get a good mascara going on your eye lines.
Eyeshadow Brush:The second staple of the eye makeup art, the eyeshadow brush is slightly bigger and curved out but the version Kolight provides in this set is notably smaller than most other product sets with this brush. Applying eyeshadow is quite straightforward and the smaller brush in this set is going to help you be more precise in your application.
Two Side Brush:The two side brush has bristles on the two different ends of the handle and the two brush sides have different purposes. More often than not, the two side brush is going to have one side for applying and mixing out foundation and the other side will usually be used to apply something else such as blush. This saves you from having to get a separate brush for that specific work and also means you have to carry one fewer brush with you. How thoughtful of Kolight!
Eyebrow Mascara Brush:This is another mascara brush and it is specifically to apply product on your brows. It is not shaped like the other mascara brush in the set but it is quite small and precise so it should let you apply the product properly on your brows accurately and properly. Nothing about this particular brush sticks out though so Kolight stuck to the basic design.
Sponge Brush:The sponge is the conventional blending tool that a lot of people use to blend foundation and other makeup products but the sponge brush that is included with Kolight’s brush set can be used to do the exact same thing and in a brush at that! It isn’t an exceptional performer by any means but it gets the job done and that’s what matters, eh?!
Smudge Brush:The smudge brush is another tool in the eye makeup arsenal that is used to dab eyeshadow along the line of your lash to attain that smoky look. The appearance is dense and the color should appear a bit intense to achieve the smoky look properly.
Nose Shadow Brush:In plainer terms, this is a contour brush for the nose. Contour brushes let you use highlights and shadows to change the perceived shape of your facial features and this lets you be creative and make your face appear quite a bit different than what it actually is. To some, it is deception and to others, it is mastery but Kolight include the brush so that you get to choose how you want to do it.
Eyeliner Brush:Last but not least, the eyeliner brush and if you’re even a bit familiar with the world of makeup, you’ll know how important a good eyeliner is for your overall look. As the jargon is nowadays, you won’t be able to slay without your eyeliners on fleek! And to achieve that, you will need the eyeliner brush that Kolight has included in their brush set.
So that was a rundown of the different brushes that are available in the set. Yes, there are a few different kinds of brushes that are not there which I am sure a lot of users will be disappointed by but it is still quite a comprehensive collection nonetheless and there are other good things to appreciate about it. So let’s go over what things there are to like about this one.
- This is literally as entry level or budget friendly as it gets. Simply put; no manufacturer is going to give you this many brushes at such a price point and believe me, this set itself will beat out even most budget level brush sets. And don’t even get me started on other metrics like cost per brush! It pretty much mops the floor in all things related to cost. What is a wonder really, is how Kolight managed to include all these brushes in the same set and at an unbelievable price!
- If the price isn’t enough for you, Kolight lets you choose from three different color combinations, each with a style that is vastly different from the others and how they are keeping this product set priced so low and even offering different color choices is quite a bit surprising to say the least!
- The bristles have decent quality and to make them more usable than the standard brushes, usually made of synthetic fiber, the material used in these brushes use soft nylon. Soft nylon has certain perks over other types. First of all, it is not natural and although that might seem undesirable, this usually means that it does not use animal fur and therefore, is more or less guaranteed to be free of animal cruelty. On the other hand, the ordinary synthetic bristles that are used in many brush sets are also problematic on the skin and can cause irritation and damage and in addition, might be quite problematic to deal with whereas this isn’t that difficult to clean and is soft and feels nice on the skin too!
- The handles are all made of wood. Yes, Kolight manages to keep the cost down without reverting to cheaper materials for the handles like plastic. I guess usual expectation will be to receive wooden handles and to be completely honest, wood is the minimum expectation from most customers so it really is important that manufacturers deliver and this is one place where Kolight definitely has.
- Finally, the small sizes on all of the brushes mean that they will be suitable for kids too! If the younger people in your family want to give makeup a try, then the brush sizes will be appropriate for their face size and given the low cost of the product, you won’t even mind all that much if anything happens to them because of how cheap they are!
Okay, before I get into all the problems, I should reiterate that this is a super budget friendly product and therefore, you’ll want to consider that specifically before you go bashing it too much. Unfortunately though, there were a lot of issues and things you might expect to go wrong with such a cheap brush set and a lot of these are problematic enough to where you might consider not using it at all.
- Despite giving you 20 brushes, the fact that they include a lot of similar or repeat brushes is a bit of a waste. Having replacements for useful brushes is definitely a huge plus but when you don’t have all the basic brushes, I think you need to certainly would rather those than replacement ones for the others! It might be a cost-saving measure but it definitely is going to cost them a lot of business I imagine.
- The brushes are all too small, even ones that are to be much bigger to allow for better diffusion of products and better blending for more natural appearances. Again, the smaller size is good for children but definitely not for adults and especially not for people who want to get the best results possible! I get that you’re trying to cut costs but when you legit cut off the functionality of certain brushes in the process of achieving this, you’ll have a lot of angry customers!
- The bristles are not the best in terms of durability. They feel very cheap and unsurprisingly, come off the handle after a short while of use. It is a good product to have for a short time period but definitely don’t expect the brushes to last too long. The only plus here is that it is going to take very little money to repurchase so there’s that! And hey, it’s a cheap repurchase at that!
- The bristles are not particularly densely packed into the brush either. They are quite spaced out and although that may be desirable in certain circumstances, you definitely don’t want it happening in all the brushes! A lot of users, as a result, found the brushes quite often not picking up enough product and to make matters worse, found bits of bristles left behind in the container of product. So instead of picking up pigmentation, it leaves some bristles instead! Clearly it is going to limit by the budget but these things are not going to be tolerable for most people I imagine. Most people would prefer to pay a bit more and avoid these issues in the first place most likely.
So there you go, a brush that although has its upsides in certain circumstances, is going to be a very difficult brush set to use over a period of time. Budget brush sets usually have their caveats and while other similar sets also have problems, they tend to be much more usable than this. However, at the same time, they are almost always more expensive too! So you can see that this particular brush set sits in a very unique position. It’s cheaper than most other budget counterparts but it also has a bunch of issues that no other brush set will have.
So should you get it? Depends entirely on your circumstances? If the alternative of this brush set is getting none at all, then sure! It won’t be great. It won’t even be good, actually! But it will do the job for a while. If you can manage a different set or a few different brushes after a while, you should be fine. But by no means, expect this to perform miracles for you. So if it fits your circumstances, go get it. But I can’t recommend it in most situations based on the Kolight 20 piece makeup brush set review presented here.